From September 15-October 15, the United States observes Hispanic Heritage Month (see this infographic!). Consider introducing some elements of the celebration in your Spanish class, even if you are tight on time & only have one day free on the calendar!
I love celebrating HHM in my class! The month-long observation allows for a wide variety of celebrations, including some of my favorites: country studies; a look at individual Independence Days; song studies; biographies of famous Latinos/Hispanics; a look at artwork from famous Latinos/Hispanics; and more!
I personally have so many ways that you can look at HHM, I’ve organized them for you to take a look at to see if you’d like to get some inspiration!
Country/Territory Studies 🌎
- A Taste of Colombia: Cultural No-Prep Activity
- Mexico Cultural Bundle
- A Taste of Puerto Rico: Cultural No-Prep Activity
Independence Day 🇲🇽
- Mexican Independence Day No-Prep Webquest & Digital Notebook
- Presentation: Compare & Contrast Mexican Independence Day & 5 de mayo
Song studies 🎼
- *FREEBIE* “La Llorona” Fill-In Song Cloze
- *FREEBIE* “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” by Selena
- *FREEBIE” “Me voy” by Julieta Venegas song cloze for Spanish 1 w/ English translations
Biographies of famous Latinos/Hispanics 👩🏽🎤
- BUNDLE: Hispanic Heritage Month Projects | Famous Latino Bios
- Famous Latinos Biographies Fill-In Printables in Spanish | Posters
- Hispanic Heritage Month Project: Student Essay + Presentation | Biographies
- *FREEBIES* Celia Cruz YouTube Video and Worksheets
Artwork from famous Latinos/Hispanics 🖼️
Quick note: Remember that Latinos are diverse 💃🏽
A 2016 Pew Research Study shows that approximately 1/4 of U.S. Latinos identify as Afro-Latino. That’s a lot! Reflect diversity and inclusion in your month-long observation with one (or more) of the following resources!
HHM Diversity Resources ✊🏿✊🏾✊🏽✊🏼✊🏻
- Afro-Latino Heritage Project
- Afro-Latino Mega Bundle
- Getting to Know Famous Afro-Latinas
- Mix Musical: Afro-Latinos# 1 & 2 <–links in numbers
Let me know if you find these tips helpful! My goal is to bring no-prep, authentic and exciting culture into the classroom!